11. A few updates, friends, & fun

Buenas tardes, amigos.  I write to you from one of my favorite rooms (yes, the office).  Tonight I'm jamming to Disney's "The Little Mermaid," album courtesy of Kelly Pippin- thanks, girl!  What a neat surprise.

Well, last Thursday June 7th I met my Plastic surgeon for our first appointment.  He explained that the procedure will occur 3-4 weeks after chemotherapy is complete (late November/early December), and he will insert tissue expanders directly after the double mastectomy.  These expanders are temporary but will allow air to slowly stretch the skin in preparation for implants since all of my own breast tissue will be removed.  After the 6 weeks of radiation and healing I'll have a second operation where the expanders will be removed and silicon implants inserted.

Shortly after the discussion with Plastic surgery, the Genetics appointment was moved up from July to that same Thursday.  We made an entire pedigree of my family tree which extended to my great grandparents!  Thankfully one of my aunts helped out with those details.  On Monday 6/18 I'll return to have lab work drawn to test for common breast cancer causing genes such as BRCA1 and BRCA2.

After the myriad of appointments, I had some fun with friends!  We enjoyed crawfish at the annual Internal Medicine chief send off, and I had a chance to catch up with the Pediatrics crew as well (pictured below).


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

18. I'll have a chemoport now, please

29. Chemo cycle #5

1. And so it begins...