22. Chemo #4 postponed? Ahhhhhh! Medical Nitty Gritty Part 3

Good news: The repeat PET scan and breast ultrasound last week revealed shrinking of the affected lymph nodes in my right armpit- the chemo is in fact working! The two masses in my right breast are minimally changed in size, but at least they are no longer growing.  

Thursday August 2nd, Dad and I went through the motions of going to clinic for the fourth cycle of chemo.  I was particularly amped about this cycle because it meant that this was the last infusion of the Red Devil (Adriamycin) and Cytoxan combination.  Adriamycin is the main culprit behind the severe nausea and vomiting, strange colored urine (TMI? apologies), and hives/bruising.  As you can imagine completing 4/8 treatments was a milestone to celebrate.  Well, God had other plans.

Prior to starting a single treatment, my labs are drawn to ensure that there's an adequate number of white blood cells (infection fighting cells) and stable electrolytes.  Chemo annihilates quickly dividing cells such as those that comprise tumors, strands of hair, the lining of your gastrointestinal track, and our infection fighting cells.  This is why I'm bald, experience intractable nausea & vomiting, and need to steer clear of folks who have fever or an active infection.

Welllll, this past Thursday my white blood cell counts were too low to proceed with treatment, meaning I would put myself at an even higher risk of infection.  I already take a medication that stimulates the bone marrow to produce more cells so the only thing to do in this situation is allow time to pass.

Etsy WandererCreative 'It is well with my soul' lyrics
Initial emotion- frustration! The minuscule ounce of type A personality came out, and I had a small conniption.  Dad mapped out his business trips around the previous chemo schedule, and with a few of the new dates- he'd be out of town!  After taking a few deep breaths, the hymn "It is well with my soul" resonated.  These things happen, and I'm thankful that my God is always and will always be in control.  Thanks to dear family and friends who have graciously volunteered their time, I will not have to attend these sessions alone.

Tentative new chemo dates:
Thursday August 9th- Adriamycin & Cytoxan
Thursday August 30th- Taxol
Thursday September 20th- Taxol
Thursday October 11th- Taxol
Thursday November 1st- Taxol (Last chemo!!)

Followed by the double mastectomy (date to be determined) & 6 weeks of radiation. 



 




Comments

  1. Oh Nathalie, I am late getting news of your journey. You have always had incredible courage and set an amazing example, but I am so sorry that you are having to walk through this! I will be absolutely praying for you (and especially for your chemo dates). Please feel hugs from me to you right now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ms. Courville! The initial news was surreal, but thankfully this journey has been bearable with the support of loved ones. I appreciate the prayers and hugs! <3

      Delete
  2. Yesssssss Warrior! #WakandaForever

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping your in our prayers, Nathalie. I love how Father God is providing for you so that even when your dad can't be there, He has others to share the blessing. Lord, lift up your sweet Nathalie so that even when there are setbacks, she knows You are with her, in her, loving and providing for her through this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also late in getting your news, but God's timing is perfect as I am reading this on August 9th - one of your chemo days. I've just lifted your name up to our perfect God and asked him to hold you tight in his care. You are an inspiration to me young lady! Love and prayers to you and your dad. (Michele Poliskin's mother (inlaw))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks so much Ms. Crystal! Of course I remember you! Hope you're doing okay

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

18. I'll have a chemoport now, please

29. Chemo cycle #5

1. And so it begins...