13. "Dearly Beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called life" -Prince

Bienvenidos a mi blog.  It's been a minute.  Currently jamming to the melodic sounds of Prince, compliments of Sharkey!  Thanks girl! My little collection is steadily growing.

A week ago from today we had our Internal Medicine Retreat for the rising third year class.  It is unbelievable that we'll be starting our third year of residency in the next few days!  For those of you wondering, yes- our program is amazing, and my schedule has been rearranged with mainly electives during chemo treatment months.  So far, Lord willing, I'll still finish residency as planned June 2020.  What follows?  -Only Father knows, but hopefully I can land a position and practice general Internal Medicine & Pediatrics in an academic setting :)

I digress, back to the retreat!  So our chiefs arranged a day of team building, encouragement, reflection, and fun.  We went to camp located in Clinton, MS and participated in various activities that were pure tests of relying on each other and physical grit.  There may have been a few scrapes and bruises in the process.  One of the challenges was pulling your entire team through these 5 hatches until making it to top of the tower.  We were informed that this particular tower was 6 stories high!  Would you believe that our team won?  Our strategy was to sandwich the ladies between the powerhouses (the gentlemen).  At one point, I'm certain Olu pulled me single-handedly through one of those hatches 😮.  Here's a group shot of us taken from the top.  Victory!!!


We also participated in an obstacle course.  I felt like myself climbing to the top of that rock wall and swinging over with the rope.  If this retreat was 2 weeks prior, I would not have the energy to keep up with the group. Chemo can lower not just your infection fighting cells but also your red blood cells resulting in symptoms of anemia.  Fortunately the fatigue and shortness of breath abated by the time we went on the retreat.  Anyway, cheers for teamwork and the healing power of Jesus- Huzzah!

Comments

  1. Amazing! I tell matt all of the time that I just need a good adult summer camp! This looks like so much fun! Such a blessing that you were feeling well!!! 😎

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

18. I'll have a chemoport now, please

29. Chemo cycle #5

1. And so it begins...